Insurance Needs for California College Students

October 12, 2013

College student

Over 1.9 million students will graduate from college in 2013. Chances are you currently have one or more children in college.   It is important to understand how a child moving off to college may impact your insurance needs. If you have college students, it will be important for you to review this and talk to Armstrong Insurance Consultants  about any changes you may need to make to your insurance program.

For the most part college students, even while living away from home, are still considered under the authority of their parents, unless they are actually living at a separate permanent address.

The good news is, you don’t have to change much as long as your child is “living under your roof” while at college.

  1. Personal property, items like clothes and computers should be covered under your homeowner’s policy.  Check with American Underwriters Insurance Agency for any limitations
  2. Personal Liability, this coverage is provided anywhere the student goes, unless it is out of the US, and then the policy may have some limitations.
  3. Auto, if your child is living in a different City or State and has a vehicle, contact us. We will need to notify the insurer of the city. You may be able to actually get a lower rate depending on the location.
  4. Health, children can remain on your health policy until the age of 26.

Once your child graduates and moves out of your home, you and your child will need to make different decisions, and Armstrong Insurance Consultants can provide insurance policies. Contact us today for a review. We can’t fund your kids’ education, but we might save you money on your insurance!