Large Group Health Insurance – Top Ten Questions
When looking for group health plans, there is a lot to consider. You also want to know the right questions to ask during your research.
Start with the below questions:
- What product designs are available?
- What is the difference between an HMO and other plan designs?
- What is the difference between a HMO product and a PPO, Preferred Provider Organization?
- Do my employees need a referral to see a specialist doctor if the group has a HMO product? What if the group has a PPO product?
- How can my employees tell if their doctor is a participating physician within the health plan’s network?
- Are there any deductibles, coinsurance amounts or lifetime maximums which apply to the plan’s coverage?
- What are the premium rates for the various HMO and PPO products options in my geographic area?
- When will the premium/rates be subject to change and how much advance notice will the group be given?
- Can the group be experienced rated?
- Can the group share the cost of the insurance with its employees? Is there a limit as to how much of the premium can be passed on to the employees?