The joyous time of year that begins with Thanksgiving through New Year’s is a time of family and friends, cooking and gatherings. It is also a time of increased risk of fire due to the use of candles and fireplaces.
According to the National Safety Council (NSC), about 2,200 deaths were caused by fires, burns and other fire-related injuries in 2013, according to Injury Facts 2015, and 12% of home candle fires occur in December, the National Fire Protection Association reports. Increased use of candles and fireplaces, combined with an increase in the amount of combustible, seasonal decorations present in many homes means more risk for fire.
Here are a few tips from the NSC to reduce the risk of fire:
- Never leave burning candles unattended or sleep in a room with a lit candle
- Keep candles out of reach of children
- Make sure candles are on stable surfaces
- Don’t burn candles near trees, curtains or any other flammable items
- Don’t burn trees, wreaths or wrapping paper in the fireplace
- Check and clean the chimney and fireplace area at least once a year
Be merry and safe as you celebrate!
Best wishes from your friends at
The Armstrong Company